Friday, July 19, 2019

HEATING WITH FIREWOOD






I use about three cord of firewood a year as alternative heating for our house.

One cord delivered cut and split.   A couple of dozen pieces too large and I had to further split them.


 It is cheaper that heating oil, but labor intensive.  I can’t have my wood dumped beside my woodshed because the truck would have to cross my septic drain field; so, the wood is dumped beside my house and I have to move it in wheelbarrow loads to the wood shed where I cross stack it. 




The wood shed probably twenty-five yards away.



The wood has to be stacked carefully so as not to collapse.   The stack is not actually narrower at the top.  It is just the perspective of the camera.



 Come winter and I haul sled loads of wood from my woodshed to my wood storage by my back door. 



Back door wood storage.   The tarp on top will be dropped to keep the wood dry during winter.



Then, as needed, I carry the wood from there into back porch wood box; and finally, I feed the wood stove from the wood box every couple of hours to keep a nice fire going.







I know there will come a time when I will have to give this up; but heating with wood makes me feel independent of society and the grid, and somehow more attached to nature and the earth.

the Ol'Buzzard



6 comments:

  1. There are few things more satisfying than a neatly stacked supply of firewood! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the smell of woodsmoke in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heating with wood has always struck me as one of those real basic things, something we were doing the same way ten thousand years ago....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a place just outside a small town in Texas. By the time I did all the oak tree pruning each year I had plenty of wood for heating the house for the very short winter. It never got to happen but it was a nice thought to use up the prunings productively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barney is right. We trim the trees here in Texas and save them for winter if there is one. Sometimes there is and then there isn't. You have everything all set for winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wood is our primary heat source. We have a propane heater as a backup, but it only gets used if we're going to be gone for more than a few hours in the winter.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."