Wednesday, December 12, 2018

SALAD DRESSINGS - MAYONNAISE AND TOMATOES









I really dislike commercial salad dressings.    To me, they taste artificial.  Their ingredients include chemicals you can’t pronounce, artificial flavors, dies for coloring and preservatives. 
 

The exception is, of course, mayonnaise – I love mayonnaise – just about anything is improved if you slather mayonnaise on it.   Makes any salad taste good.


But I digress:


Here is a list of three easy to make salad dressings that are my standards.


My favorite is Blue Cheese

For years I tried to make a decent Blue Cheese dressing by experimenting, and often using feta cheese … a mistake.  This one works.

½ cup of sour cream
¼ cup of cottage cheese
¼ cup of mayonnaise
¾ cups of crumbled blue cheese
Blend in a food processor until smooth – add some chunks of blue cheese of you like

Creamy Italian

¾ cups of mayonnaise (it is already starting good.)
¼ cup of sour cream
2 tsp of vinegar
¼ tsp each of dry mustard, dried basil and dried oregano
1/8 tsp of garlic powder
1/8 tsp of salt


French Dressing

2 tbsp of sugar
3 tbsp of vinegar (red wine vinegar is great)
¼ tsp of salt
¼ tsp of dried mustard
1/8 tsp of garlic powder
A dash of red pepper flakes
¾ cups of olive oil (a really good brand of extra virgin olive oil makes a difference.)


Vinaigrette are easy
3 parts oil to one-part vinegar and a dash of salt and pepper (experiment with the different vinegar to find what you like.)


You normally think of summer as a time for salads, but salads are great any time as a filler to cut down on the amount of carbohydrates and fats that are consumed in most normal meals.


Tonight, we are having meatloaf, rice, steamed broccoli and a green salad with blue cheese dressing – and of course wine.


I really miss having good tomatoes in my salads.  Those genetically engineered red things that sit on the supermarket shelf are a poor substitute for tomatoes.  We have a short growing season here in western Maine and only get locally grown tomatoes in the summer for a few weeks.  I was raised in the south and remember the big ugly acidic heirloom tomatoes with a taste that was out of this world: tomato sandwiches made with great big slices of acidic tomatoes slathered with mayonnaise.    I feel sorry for the young people today that have been raised on store bought tomatoes.


the Ol’Buzzard




4 comments:

  1. We had some good tomatoes this year, from a garden in Maine no less! I had to stop on the way home to buy bacon & lettuce!
    That BLT was good!
    I'll keep that blue cheese recipe in mind, every now & then I like blue cheese..

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing like a tomato grown on the vine in your (or someone's) back yard! mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Creamy Italian so I'll have to try your recipe. David loves Miracle Whip. You won't believe it but I got him off of it by buying Dukes Mayonnaise . Now that's all we buy. It has a nice tangy vinegar taste that is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We almost never eat store bought dressing. The missus used to make our mayonnaise, too. It won't combine if you do it during a thunderstorm, though.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."