Thursday, December 20, 2018

DEATH AND ETERNITY










A BITE OF REALITY

I am past my sell-by-date.   I am of the age that the reality is I will die within the next ten years – and I will be dead a long time.  

Two days ago, I hit an ice patch with my car and slid into an ice bank, resulting in a tear in the front plastic cowling and a dent in the back door of my RAV-4.  

My wife wasn’t happy, but I refuse to be upset about some damage to the car that is repairable.  Shit happens.  

The snow scene up here in Maine is beautiful.  I have a nice home and a great wife, books to read and cats to keep me company.   This accident will cost me a deductible that I can ill-afford, but in the scheme of things: no big deal.

As far as eternity, that is the con of religions.   Religions promise a get-out-of-death-free card that doesn’t exist:   I will pay you tomorrow  for a hamburger today.

It would be great to think that when I die a biker club of big breasted Valkyrie women would roar down to earth to transport me to  Valhalla; where I could pick out my ride, where there is an open bar with Irish Whiskey and good English beer and bowels of ganja for the sampling, where all the women are beautiful and horny, where all the great bands eventually preform: the Stones, Dr Hook, Bob Seger, The Band…

But there is the same chance of that happening as sitting in some celestial heaven with the man-god Jesus. 

You walk through the cemeteries here in New England and find old tombstones with epitaphs and names like Constance Toothacher and Endeavor Bean; people who lived in Maine over four hundred years ago.   They are not sitting ‘up there in heaven’ or ‘down there in hell.’ They are forgotten and their bones are rotting in the ground like everyone who ever lived before them and everyone who has lived after.  Their dogs died, their cats died, their horse died, their cow died, their children died, they died.  There is life and there is death – full stop. 

We are here for a short while and then we are gone.  I can deal with that.






 If it were true that your life passes in front of your face when you die – mine would be a double feature.   It has been an interesting run.  And every day I have left I intend to live to the fullest.

the Ol’Buzzard 



5 comments:

  1. I'm fine with that too. "The oblivion of eternal sleep"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever notice as you get older or have an accident that shakes you up a bit, you start thinking of your life. What you accomplished, what you didn't and what you still want to get done before you finish your time on earth. I love that your analogy of death was of a Viking biker. Personally, I believe all bikers are Vikings in their soul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hope Freya comes to take me away in her chariot pulled by cats. If that doesn't happen? Meh. There is a certain freedom in aging. A life sentence becomes much less of a deterrence, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, there’s just so much I didn’t do, and probably won’t now. If only I had become an atheist 20 years sooner....I find myself panicked all the time, basically. Even though I know it’s stupid and a waste of the little time I have, and psychic energy.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."