Friday, September 14, 2018

BACK TO THE FUTURE








The book Future Shock by Alvin Toffler proposed that mankind was psychologically and emotionally unable to adjust to rapid change; that change, to be comfortable, must happen over an extended time. 

Boy was he wrong. 

Change did come slow when knowledge was acquired by trial-and-error. 

At the time of Jesus, the wheelbarrow was cutting edge technology.   The world prodded along for centuries until the invention of the printing press in the 1400’s.   The printing press allowed the mass sharing of information including the technology of the day.

By the early 1900’s the T-model Ford and primitive airplanes were cutting edge technology.   Changes were happening, but they were still slow.   

In 1976’ computers were in their infancy and the Apple-2 with 4 Kb of ram, 5 ½ inch floppy disk and a monochrome monitor that wrote in upper case only was available for home computing for around a thousand dollars. 

Now in only forty years we have gone to hand held gigabyte computer phones with hundreds of apps available.   My GPS has the address, maps and driving directions for everyone living in the United States and Canada.  NASA has probes hurling into deep space and the internet has connected almost every person on earth.

This is only the beginning.  Computers are changing our world at such a pace that it is hard to keep up with new innovations.   We are on the cusp of artificial Intelligence (AI) where computers will learn and think for themselves.   It is almost unimaginable where technology will have taken us by the turn of the 22nd  century.  

The book is outmoded 
But still a good read
If only to see 
Where we have come from.

the Ol'Buzzard

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. I love when you blog about books. Otherwise I would be stuck with what my local book store has up front. I do love me some new book smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that book. I think there is validity to the idea, though, when you look at the reports of the significant increase in stress folks report in their day-to day lives. Even though there are many good things associated with the technology tidal wave, the added stress is a strong negative that also impacts us and I suspect the rapid nature of this change is the major reason for the increased stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now on a computer instead of a tablet so it is easier to write. Even though I agree with the idea you suggest on how we HAVE coped with incredible change in a short order of time... I do think that there have been hidden costs of a variety of sorts (which to me keeps Toffler's ideas valid as well). I mentioned stress in my previous comment. And, unfortunately, clinicians are finding that a large number of the modern illnesses we face in society have some pretty strong linkages to the increased levels of stress hormones most of us have in our bodies.

    I sometimes wish I could go back to the late 50s or early 60s prior to the jump starting of most technology that entered the general public's day-to-day. I can reminisce of course, but I would like to experience it again WITHOUT any of the baggage of hindsight (what I mean is without knowing what was to come). I think it would be much more quieting for my mind and spirit.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when that book was the talk of the town! I never got around to reading it though.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."