Saturday, November 11, 2017

OSCILLATING POWER TOOL FROM HARBOR FREIGHT




In June I made a trip down to the new Harbor Freight store in Auburn, Maine.  

I have bought other tools from Harbor Freight through the mail, and find them good enough for my amateur DIY (do it yourself.)   Granted, you get what you pay for and Harbor Freight tools are cheap; but they come with a ninety-day guarantee and they replace defective tools with no question.  I have had their table saw for fifteen years.  

I had downloaded a sales chit for an oscillating tool: a normally $39 tool on sale for $24.  



I felt guilty buying the tool wondering how much I would actually use it; but I needed to install cedar siding after having done some sill work and thought the tool might be useful in that instance.  

As it turns out, I have used the hell out of this tool since I have had it: cutting tricky pieces of siding to fit, installing a dead bolt lock and cutting pipe while doing some plumbing work (I HATE PLUMBING!)



This video is of a Makita oscillating power tool that cost about $150 – the Harbor freight tool serves my needs and is affordable.   







The problem is that I inadvertently bought the tool that is battery operated.   No problem with the battery but when I wanted to use the tool yesterday the charger wouldn’t work.   A new charger cost $12 with $7 shipping and I can buy another oscillating tool for only five dollars more (plus shipping.)     I am going to buy another one, but this time, one with a power cord.  I find battery operated tools a pain in the ass.   The battery always needs charging when I need to use the tool.

the Ol’Buzzard



6 comments:

  1. David buys most of his toys at Harbor but the bigger (arr arr more power) toys he buys at Home Desperate. That's usually when he's buying a fixture for plumbing. The trick with battery powered toys is to always buy an extra battery and battery charger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tools I didn't know what I did without... The miter saw fit that category for me.

    I like Harbor freight and have had good luck with most everything but I do not mail order from them any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harbor Freight. . . just reading the name evokes their ambience with that lovely cheap Chinese plastic smell. . . When we were in Grand Junction, Colorado, last spring we were only a few blocks from Harbor Freight. The S.O. was there every day using up a stash of coupons my brother-in-law gave him for free stuff. We now have a gazillion little LED flashlights, none of which will be findable when we actually need one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which is a good case for only buying battery tools that come with two batteries. To me, getting rid of that damn cord and looking for outlets makes sense.

    Oh hell yes, I agree about plumbing. There is no such thing as a simple plumbing job. EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss all my tools..when I moved into the apts I either gave or sold all my tools.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."