Tuesday, January 8, 2013

A BUZZARD EGG OMELET #19






I just made a post about a Trillion Dollar Coin and that got me thinking about coinage.   Why the hell do we still have pennies?   A penny can’t buy anything, and I sure as hell am tired of seeing something for sale at $49.99 (for example.)   Why not just go ahead and post it for $50.00: as that is what, for all practical purposes, it cost.   I wouldn't bother to bend over and picking up a penny off the sidewalk.  


Why must we create a penny in change for a purchase?    A penny is a pain in the ass to carry around and isn't worth squat.  

I am sure that it must cost more than a penny for the government to mint and distribute the one cent coin. 

While I am thinking about it – what can you buy for a nickel?  

I just asking; wouldn't the government save money if they quit minting worthless coins?

the Ol’Buzzard





3 comments:

  1. I live in a sales tax state, most transactions here involves penny's. I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canada will be phasing out the penny next month.

    It may be a wasteful coin but it's easy to see that getting rid of lower denominational money makes it easier to raise prices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."