Sunday, March 7, 2021

EXERCISING BEFORE AND AFTER THE PANDEMIC

 

I am eighty-plus years old, and in pretty good shape for that age.   During this pandemic it has been, and still is, important that my younger wife and I exercise and stay fit.    If not, this will be a time of physical decline that we may not be able to make up.


I don't advertise for anybody, but when I buy a product and feel it is valuable I don't mind posting about it. 


A couple of weeks ago I bought this GOPRO treadmill.  We already have a bike and a Total Gym, but neither give you the same over all workout, and balance that you get from walking.   Few people have room for a big treadmill in their home, so small size and foldability was the chief factors in purchasing this treadmill.  


I am somewhat disappointed with this machine, but it is what was advertised.  I am six foot and 190 pounds, and this machine is too small for me to use comfortably, but I can and will use it.  This would be a great machine for a smaller person - say under five feet five.   The track is pretty narrow for my size fourteen feet and fairly short for a good stride.   But, as I said, it is a convenient size for our room and it folds compactly.   It will give us an adequate workout during the winter months and during the time of pandemic.  


The treadmill cost under four hundred dollars, was delivered promptly and comes with a good warranty.   We try to buy anything of this nature on-lint through Walmart, because if we don't like the quality we can return it locally without dealing with return shipping. 


 








We also have an Exerputic stationary bike, and it is excellent.  It cost under two-hundred dollars.  We have had it for eight years and it is sturdy and gives a good workout.  Probably not what the young and athletic would like, but great machine for legs and stamina; well suited for less active people.  








I have the Total Gym 1400.  I have had it for about ten years and can't say enough about the workout I am able to get each day.   I do three sets of ten exercises.  It takes me about fifteen minutes.  My arms, shoulders, chest and stomach feel solid.  Without the Total Gym routine it would all go to flab.   The Total Gym 1400 cost about four hundred dollars, but I don't use all the extra bars and handles and footrest - so the Total Gym APEX G1 at about three hundred dollars would work just as well.   








The old saying 'If you don't use it, you lose it.' is so true.  Exercise is as important as diet in aging healthily.  Fifteen minutes a day is not much to stay heart healthy and physically fit.  If you can't go to a gym, if you don't have an active life style, you might consider one of these machines to help you maintain stamina, strength and health. 


the Ol'Buzzard









7 comments:

  1. I'm impressed by your dedication to exercise and remaining fit as you age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to go for a walk every day but if it's really cold (or HOT) out there I tend to say... er... um... I'll go tomorrow. MY friend who is the local retired doctor who is aged well over 80 walks 2 miles every day no matter what the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried doing a link to a classic Shel Silverstein song. It didn't work. Video is at the end of this post. http://namesweretaken.blogspot.com/2014/09/youre-still-going-to-die.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. That link no longer works either. Time marches on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fully understand your challenges with the treadmill. I abhor running on a treadmill because a) I do not typically run naturally in a perfectly straight line and can easily fun off the side of the belt if I am not paying strict attention, b) part of the "benefit" of running for me is being able to let go of my thoughts and NOT have to pay attention as deeply.... and running on the treadmill negates that aspect.

    But, like you, I NEED to run on the treadmill during the winter months (at least during Covid-19, until when it may someday again be safe to run at a local indoor track in the Winter again).

    My method, that I adopted this Winter (we did not have a treadmill until I bought one in... I think it was October of 2020).. was that I used my wife's social media account to look for a used one nearby. We ended up getting an old one for ~$150... and knock on wood, it has worked well so far. I have ran almost seven hundred miles on it so far this Winter.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  7. if I walk any distance my legs hurt so bad with cramps I am in agony.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."