Tuesday, July 7, 2020

I HAVE SEEN A LOT



 

One thing about being old, is there is little that you haven’t seen before.

 

I was young during the Second World war: but I remember the fear; mothers and wives had star flags in their windows – white stars if you had a love one in the war – a gold star if your love one had been killed; there was rationing of food and most family needs; It was a scary time.



28 Best WWII GOLD STAR MOTHERS images | Gold star mother, Gold ...

 

The Polio pandemic.   Families were afraid for their children and themselves.   In Mississippi, my grandmother insisted I stay in the house between noon and four p.m. – the heat of the day.    There was no rational, but people were panicked and listening to conspiracy theories.


Pitt's 'new' iron lung is symbol of the Salk achievement there ...


 

Atomic bomb drills were held in school, and kids hid under their desk for protection from the attack we were sure was coming.



How 'Duck-and-Cover' Drills Channeled America's Cold War Anxiety ...

 

I remember the Korean War.   That was a bloody war, under terrible conditions, against a vicious enemy.  Military men suffered greatly.


US, North Korea to resume search for soldiers′ remains from Korean ...

 

I was new in the military during the Cuban Crisis.  People were afraid of mutual destruction and a nuclear presence in Cuba.


Cuban Missile Crisis, October 22: The Day Kennedy Stood Up to the ...

 

I watched the racial violence of forced integration of the south.  The country split between the north and the south.   Southern states determined to maintain Jim Crow control over black southerners.  The violence against African Americans was on display for all to see.


Integration is a Civil Right. Governor-Elect Evers Can Act to ...

 

I served in Vietnam and witnessed the death and maiming of young military men over politicians playing election politics.  57,000 men lost for nothing. 

 

Vietnam: The loss of American innocence? - 1965 - Stripes


I remember the Rodney King riots.   The city burned.


25 years after Rodney King riots, deaths still unsolved | Daily ...

 

And let’s not forget 9-11 and the never-ending political war that ensued.


Osama bin Laden 'inspired to plan 9/11 terror attacks by EgyptAir ...

 

Finally, the Bush financial crisis that left the banks ruined and the stock market in shambles. 


Who Is to Blame for the 2008 Financial Crisis? - Pro Market 

 

 

I have seen it all before, but not like this.    Now it seems everything is repeating in one disastrous moment:

A corrupt president dividing the country for his personal means. 

Racist, bigots and white supremacist emerging into public view.

U.S. military in the streets, activated against civilian peaceful protesters. 

A deadly pandemic panic

An economic collapse.

And a obstructive Republican Congress and Senate that are refusing to act.



Republicans Stick With Trump to Please the Base | The Report | US News

 

We have survived the other crisis.  They came one at a time.   I am not sure how this one will play out.  There is some thirty-eight percent of our population that seems content to stand by and watch our democracy destroyed.


What If Trump Supporters Love Chaos as Much as He Does?


  the Ol'Buzzard

 

 

 

 

 


2 comments:

  1. I was born after World War II so only know the stories, but the rest... yes.... I agree with you.

    And, I agree there is a definitely different "feel" to what is going on right now. I do not know how to effectively TRY to cope with so much of it right now.... so very many, many horrors occurring simultaneously.

    The last image you included... of the tRump supporters.... it so reminds me of the images of the Hitler Youth photos. I just cannot understand how the 30-some percent of folks who are in this group..... how they can be so utterly foolish and/or horrible.

    I too have been seriously considering seeing if I can figure out a way to return to smoking my pipes. I would like to figure out a way to do so "occasionally" if that is possible.... but I also realize how utterly damn easy it would be for me to fall back into the pattern of my "normal" of smoking my pipes when I feel like it.... which was typically about 6-8 bowls a day. I do so very sincerely miss them.

    Your wife would be pissed at you if you went back to them? How long ago again, did you start to refrain? I think my wife would be a bit disappointed in me, but not overly angry.

    PipeTobacco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your service. We have endured a lot of crises and our history has made me question at times our values, our decisions and our reckless acts. But never have I questioned the love of our country by our leaders. In over 70 years of witnessing history up close, I fear for Democracy and our survival as a country. Please vote!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."