Tuesday, June 11, 2019

DR. JOHN RIP



I remember my mother, when she was younger than I am now, saying that she hated to sleep because everybody she dreamed about was dead. 

I don't have that problem, because I have few fond memories of people in my past; but I am watching all the musical icons I listen to for most of my life, disappear one by one.

Dr John has been a staple in the music I appreciate, and now he too is gone. 

A true son of New Orleans and a blues icon that can never be replaced.



enlarge to fully appreciate






The Haitian slaves had their own gods but were not allowed to worship them, so they renamed them with the names of Christian Saints, so their masters would think they were practicing Christianity.  The old religion is very much alive around New Orleans, and Dr John celebrated it.  






I am sure there is going to be one hell of a funeral!
Laissez les bon temps rouler Dr John.

the Ol'Buzzard



2 comments:

  1. That headdress in the first video is worthy of Elton John in his heyday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iko Iko with Nils Lofgren on guitar. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."