Sunday, April 21, 2019

STAYING FIT AS YOU AGE










There is so much emphasis on dieting and healthy eating as you start to age, but other than mention the need to exercise there is very little prescription.    Perhaps that is because we have to eat daily but we don’t have to exercise, so it is easy to just veg out in front of the computer or TV.


Some people try the gym; but that requires the effort to daily dress and travel, and a cost that is prohibitive - and very few make the gym a lifetime option for exercise.   Some people buy DVD or TV exercise programs – but most people won’t stick with these.
    

As an octogenarian, I’m in pretty good shape.  I have good upper body strength.  My arms don’t sag, I can tighten my pecks, and though I am somewhat overweight (205 lbs.  – I would like to be about 180) I can even crunch my stomach muscles.


I have posted about this before.    For about the last ten years I have (pretty much) daily worked out for 15 minutes on a Total Gym. 


About ten years ago I bough mine through Target.   I have the Total Gym 1400 that now cost about $250.  There is the Total Gym Optima that is just as good as the one I have that you can get online of $180 – there is no need to spend more than this. 


Optima 



I have mine set up in the room with my computer and first thing in the morning I drink a small glass of orange juice to replace electrolytes and then spend 15 minutes on the TG and 5 min. meditating.    I do my exercises without a break in-between so there is an aerobic component in my program.
  

During the summer I mow the lawn and take care of post-winter maintenance; and during the winter I snowblow my drive, shovel where needed and haul firewood for the wood stove.   Sometimes I try to walk a couple of mines on the road in the summer time – but fine it boring after a while.    But the Total Gym is easy, available, quick and effective.


People that read my blog know I don’t advertise products, but when I find something I like (slow cooker, bread maker…) I post about it. 


Strength is so important as we age.    If you are retired, aging and sedentary you might consider a Total Gym for a daily fitness routine.


the Ol’Buzzard





5 comments:

  1. You are a very disciplined individual. Were you always like this, or do you think it was military training? We have everything we need here, in terms of exercise equipment, but still find many excuses to not use it. (hangs head in shame) -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 67 and also have a total gym. My niece gave it to me several years because she no longer used it. Wonderful piece of equipment if you use it.

    But damn I hate Chuck Norris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like walking when the weather permits and get a fair amount of muscle work with the horses so I am not too soft. That said, I would like to be a little better than I am and I also have about 15 extra pounds that I wouldn't miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. About all I can do is walk. Not sure about other exercises after all this surgery. Once I get home, the hounds are going to get walked often. For winter I need a tread mill.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."