Tuesday, October 9, 2018

A THROWAWAY SOCIETY





I recently posted a blog reminiscing about changes I have seen in my almost eight decades.  Yesterday I posted about a pole saw from Harbor freight, and Rob ( Observations on the road ) commented about the poor quality of Craftsman tools.    This brought to mind how the quality of almost everything we buy has deteriorated over the last fifty years.

When I was a child my grandmother (who raised me) had a toaster that was steel: it was heavy to lift.  After years one of the heating elements burned out and she had me take it to an appliance repairman in the town and he replaced the heating element.  We had that toaster for my entire young life.   Today I have a Cuisinart toaster that is so light I am sure I could cave in the sides if I smashed it with my fist.  I can’t count the number of toasters I have owned over the past sixty years. 

Remember when the bumpers on cars were so substantial you could actually push another car without damaging either vehicle, and the dashes were steel?

Craftsman tools use to be the standard in durability; but now they have gone the way of everything else – produced as cheaply as possible.

Back sixty and more years ago people purchased things for a lifetime; now, nothing is expected to last more than a few years.

This generation has a different mindset; they don’t want to keep old things because ‘Wayfair has just what you need.

the Ol'Buzzard




3 comments:

  1. It is so sad that we produce more trash that ends up in the landfill than we recycle. It's just sad and stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the real culprits are corporations which create built-in obsolecence so they can sell you more crap faster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Actually I had a Craftsman Circular Saw I purchased in 1969 up until last year, when it was stolen from my garage. It was still going strong. I replaced the brushes once about twenty years ago. I wouldn't give spit for the current version...made in China.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT: Ben Franklin said, "I imagine a man must have a good deal of vanity who believes, and a good deal of boldness who affirms, that all doctrines he holds are true, and all he rejects are false."