What do we need to turn the country around and make it what we would like to believe it is? I can give you my list. (Remember, this BLOG is all about me.)
• We need our senators and congressmen to have term limits: being a member of our legislative body should be a service to the country, not a career. No state has term limits for US Senators, as the US Supreme Court ruled such limits unconstitutional in U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (May 22, 1995, so tomorrow is the 12th anniversary of that decision).
• We need to get rid of the Electoral College and have the people’s vote elect our president.
• We must close the loop holes that allow industry to manipulate government through lobbyist and contributions. (Citizens United Ruling)
• We need to have a fiscally responsible government: we must stop the pork by enacting a line-item veto for the president.
• We must demand the government operate within a balanced budget.
• We must rethink and reinforce the idea of free enterprise, by not subsidizing inefficient and outmoded companies.
• We need to reinvent the railroad in order to transport goods more efficiently and drastically decrease the need for inefficient and polluting semi-trucks on the highways.
• We must enact a totally green energy-policy.
• We must reorganize and down size our military.
• We must control population growth.
• We must improve the education in this country by removing it from the hands of uninformed legislators and placing it under the total control of educators.
• Finally, we must be an active member, and accountable to a world of nations.
This is a wish list; an unrealistic musing of a path toward a more perfect democracy. The reality is that the United States is not a democracy but a plutocracy: a country manipulated by corporate interest. The government proper is juxtaposed between two political parties, each vying for control. What’s good for the people is second place to securing power for the party and the personal ambitions of the legislatures. All this is fed by the wealthiest Americans and mega-corporations that funnel money into the electoral process, allowing them a major influence on legislative outcomes. Add to this a sizable sector of the population that is not bright, uninformed and easily manipulated by thirty-second commercials, loaded phrased and catch words like abortion, gays, guns, god, patriotism, the military… and you have a country locked in to system that is moving toward a place and time that we will all regret.
The TEA PARTY NATION -